The Defiant Requiem Foundation was founded by Maestro Murry Sidlin, distinguished conductor, educator, and artistic innovator in 2008. It is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC.
The Defiant Requiem Foundation is dedicated to preserving the memory of the prisoners in Terezín during World War II, who, despite monumental suffering, disease, and the constant presence of death, found hope and inspiration in the arts and humanities.
The Foundation will achieve its mission by:
- Presenting live performances of Defiant Requiem: Verdi at Terezín and Hours of Freedom: The Story of the Terezín Composer.
- Distributing the award-winning documentary film Defiant Requiem to the broadest possible audience.
- Perpetuating The Rafael Schächter Institute for the Arts and Humanities at Terezín in both the Czech Republic and the United States.
- Nurturing opportunities for Holocaust education centered on Terezín, including the Defiant Requiem film curriculum guide and the University Residency Project.
- Creating new initiatives and artistic programs to honor the creativity and courage of the Terezín prisoners and expand overall awareness of Terezín.